Skip to main content

Steere & Turner Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS 2

Overview

The collection consists of organ specification ledgers created by Steere and Turner and J.W. Steere and Son.

Dates

  • 1884–1911

Biographical / Historical

Steere and Turner was founded in Westfield, Massachusetts, as a partnership between John Wesley Steere and George William Turner in 1866. The firm was named Steer and Turner until 1890, when John Wesley Steer changed the spelling of his name to Steere. In 1879, the firm relocated to Springfield, Massachusetts, and became J.W. Steere and Sons. In 1894, when Frank J. Steere left, it was renamed J.W. Steere and Son. The firm was reorganised in 1917, and was ultimately urchased by the Skinner Organ Company in 1921.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Custodial History

The ledgers were owned by the Steere company until the firm was acquired by the Skinner Organ Company, and later became part of the Aeolian-Skinner archives. When Aeolian-Skinner closed in 1973, the ledgers were briefly owned by Daniel L. Angerstein, once an employee of Aeolian-Skinner.
Title
Steere & Turner Collection
Author
Bynum Petty
Date
September 22, 2016

Repository Details

Part of the Organ Historical Society Library and Archives Repository

Contact: