J.H. & C.S. Odell Collection
Identifier: MS 4
The collection consists of organ contracts and a small amount of correspondence associated with individual instruments.
Biographical / Historical
The firm was established in New York City in 1859 as a partnership between John Henry and Caleb Sherwood Odell, who were joined by Thomas and William Robjohn, two English-born organ builders. Late in the nineteenth century, the firm was managed by William H. Odell. In 1928, the firm relocated to Mount Vernon, N.Y., and to Yonkers, N.Y. in 1940. Although the firm ceased making new organs in 1960, service work continued into the 1980s, under the direction of Harry E. Odell. The firm was re-established in 1993 by Edward Odell, a fifth-generation descendant of the founders, and remains active in 2016.
6 Linear Feet
The collection was donated to the Organ Historical Society Library and Archives by Edward Odell in October 1995.
- J.H. & C.S. Odell Collection
- Bynum Petty
- November 9, 2016
Part of the Organ Historical Society Library and Archives Repository